When a new release of Substance Designer comes out and modifies the structure of the .sbs file format you get a popup message everytime you open a Substance file in Substance Designer that has not yet been saved with this version. This becomes pretty annoying when working with big libraries.
Thanks to WkSBSUpdateDir it is now very simple and fast to update a whole project in one time.
This small application runs sbsupdated.exe, an executable contained in every Substance Designer installation folder, on a specifed set of .sbs files in order to upgrade them to this version of Substance. Very useful when you have a lot of files to update because it will prevent the annoying update popup message raising everytime a Substance file or its dependencies are not at the current version of Substance Designer.
WkSBSUpdateDir has been written in Python 3.5. All the project sources are free and are included in the archive.
- Copy the file WkSBSUpdateDir.exe in the folder where all the .sbs files you want to update are located.
- Double-clic on it to run it. A Command window will open. Follow the instructions.
- A confirmation query will appear before the batch is effectively run. Once launched there is no smart way to stop the batch though (except by closing the process window).
- A log file is generated at the end of the processing.
It is strongly adviced to create a backup of the folder you want to update before running the batch!
Discussion and support
You can provide feedback or questions here:
- V1.1 (07/03/2018):
- Fixed an issue that appeared when Substance Designer was not found in the default install directory.
- V1.1 (05/03/2018):
- Improved error feedback.
- Fixed a missing increment in case sbsupdater.exe crashes.
- V1.0 (01/03/2018):
- basic version. No issues noticed so far.
- The option related to the use of presets by the .sbs files is completely ignored in version 1.0
- No command line available on the exe.